Friday, February 10, 2006

Grammisery

You think I give a damn about a Grammy?
Half of you critics can't even stomach me, let alone stand me
"But Slim, what if you win, wouldn't it be weird?"
Why? So you guys could just lie to get me here?
--Em

I didn't watch the Grammys, and I don't think I'll watch the repeats either. I consider myself a pretty big fan of music, even pop, but the way they are going, I think they are becoming meaningless. U2 is great and I think their first 13 years were their best. But now they are hardly breaking new ground, and are basically coasting on past success and yes, considerable talent.
Homer: Oh, why wont anyone give me an award?
Lisa: You won a grammy!
Homer: I mean an award that's worth winning...

But are they so important these days that they can clean the clocks of Coldplay, Gorrillaz, et al? Bloc Party, aguably a far more relevant band, Sigur Ros, Dizzee Rascal, the Streets have all been left out, and for what? To give Mariah Carey's version of an R. Kelly album some play?

Let's call the Grammy's what they are: the establishments self-congratulatory BS fest. Yeah, they scored last year by nominating Kanye's debut which was worth noting, but Neal Young's album got props this year?

It reminds me of the antics of Rolling Stone. When an artist is new and groundbreaking, they diss them. When they are old, irrelevant and used up, they become heroes whose every utterance warrants 5 out 5 stars.

No comments: