Monday, August 29, 2005

Sign Here For Consenting To Death Penalty

Stranded on Death Row
And now I'm servin a lifetime sentence
There'll be no repentence
Since it's the life that I choose to lead
I plead guilty
On all counts let the ball bounce where it may
--Lady Of Rage

A BC teacher, Mathieu Forand, was nabbed in Taipei with drugs at his party...and ended up signing his life away without knowing it:
B.C. teacher may be facing death penalty
Man, 28, arrested on trafficking, smuggling counts

A teacher from B.C. is facing the death penalty in Taiwan after being arrested for allegedly smuggling and trafficking cocaine.

Mathieu Forand, 28, was arrested Friday night and jailed. He was allegedly found with cocaine, ecstacy and marijuana.
[...]

"From what I've heard, he's signing things without knowing what they are, without having them translated," said Forand's father Peter of Port Moody, who learned of his son's arrest yesterday. "What I've heard is he's done some of this without legal assistance. That's a problem."

Forand's friends in Taiwan said authorities kept him up for nearly two days while trying to get him to sign documents in Chinese.

Now he's facing the death penalty.

This was one of my concerns when I was in Japan: getting caught up with Japanese police.

No comments: