Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Sickness of Iraq
I don't feel the sickness yet, but it's in the post
--Renton, Trainspotting
Today I feel like I did after Abu Ghraib: sick. When I read the reports I feel almost faint or ill. My usual qualifier goes here: I supported the war, and I think that a democratic middle east will be a great thing for all of us. Having said that, let's take a deep breath and realize that there is a hell of a lot of work to do, and that any positive action lies in making sure Iraq is democratic. More troops, more allies, more armour if needed, more international involvement and definitely more Iraqi police should be on the scene. Right now, let's face it, this is getting to be a mess. Let's pray that the elections change things.

iraq

Violence continues in Iraq amid Saddam's anti-US call

BAGHDAD, Dec. 20 (Xinhuanet) -- Violence continued in Iraq on Sunday with about 60 killed amid former leader Saddam Hussein's anti-US call.

About 47 people were killed and 90 others wounded in a car bomb blast near the Imam Ali shrine in the Iraqi Shiite holy city of Najaf on Sunday, a hospital official said.

The blast took place at about 3:30 p.m. local time (1230 GMT) in a square where many people had gathered for a funeral, witnesses said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Airplanes flyin, overseas people dyin
Politicians lyin I'm tryin
Not to escape, but hit the problem head-on
From bringin out the truth in the song
--Cypress Hill

No comments: