Sunday, November 14, 2004

Music Notes
First off, MJ decides to beef with Em:

MJ Vs. Eminem Battle
Michael Jackson made a surprise call to Fox News reporter Geraldo Rivera this week to complain yet again about Eminem's "Just Lose It" video. MJ told Geraldo, "It's not just about Michael Jackson but about a pattern of disrespect that he has shown our community."

MJ might not like it, but you might - and Eminem's album "Encore" is released today.

MJ has been coordinating his communications talking points with the Source, the same mag that has been all over Em..Benzino the owner has bent over backwards to paint em as a racist, which is pretty bogus.

MJ sees parody of himself as an attack on the black community....and insinuates that rap is 'black only'. Too many contradictions and 'kettle black' analogies to go into here, so I'll just let Kanye do the talking:
She got a light skinned friend look like Michael Jackson
Got a dark skinned friend look like Michael Jackson

I'll say the prerequisite stuff everyone says about him though: Yes, he was a genius. Yes he is a completely scary weirdo. And yes, I did wear a little sparkley glove and a red jacket like him when I was five. Also: I was a breakdancer.

Now for the serious stuff:

Ol' Dirty Bastard Dies
Rapper O.D.B. also known as Ol' Dirty Bastard and founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan died Saturday in New York City. He was recording in a Manhattan studio when he collapsed. Authorities say it may be days before the cause of death is determined. O.D.B. would have been 36 years old on Monday November 15th.

Is his death really a mystery?
I'm immune to all viruses
I get the cocaine it cleans out my sinuses
Just for slinging *nuh* I get a quarter a mil
I'll have it raining ice drops the size of automobiles
Kill all the government microchips in my body
I'm the paranoid ***** at your party
I kill all my enemies at birth!
--ODB

He fathered 14 kids, and there was definitely no father to his style. I will miss that we won't have the company of an astounding artist who somehow performed with the Wu Tang Clan while on the lamb. I'll pour a little OE on the curb for him next weekend.

But this all begs the question: Who is crazier? Michael Jackson or Ol' Dirty Bastard? Sounds like next weeks poll...I'll probably add in Rick James, Gary Neumann, Sid Viscious and Pete Doherty. hmmm.....And that guy who screams "Science!" in Adam Ant's video.

No comments: