Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thinking Is Overrated, Continued

"[Sarah Palin] is supremely and uniquely unqualified for the position for which she has been nominated"
--James Carville
Sarah Palin attempts to make words into sentences here. Try not to wince:

Here is the beginning salvo:
(CBS) When CBS News anchor Katie Couric sat down for an exclusive interview with vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin Wednesday, she focused on the economy - but also addressed reports that the lobbying firm of Sen. John McCain's campaign manager received payments from the controversial mortgage giant Freddie Mac until last month. Couric asked for her reaction to that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah Palin: My understanding is that Rick Davis recused himself from the dealings of the firm. I don't know how long ago, a year or two ago that he's not benefiting from that. And you know, I was - I would hope that's not the case.

Katie Couric: But he still has a stake in the company so isn't that a conflict of interest?
Palin: Again, my understanding is that he recused himself from the dealings with Freddie and Fannie, any lobbying efforts on his part there. And I would hope that's the case because, as John McCain has been saying, and as I've on a much more local level been also rallying against is the undue influence of lobbyists in public policy decisions being made.
The transcript doesn't show the long, long pause between the second question and the response. It was ages as she racked her brain for the correct talking points. Her answer indicates a complete disconnect from the question being asked, as if any mention of Davis was supposed to trigger a Pavlovian response of: "My understanding is...."

Q: Doesn't Davis have a conflict of interest because of his ownership of a company being paid by Freddie Mac?
A: My understanding is that he "recused himself".

What does that mean? Davis requested payments from Freddie Mac of 150K/mo and was paid specifically because he was part of McCain's campaign. McCain can hardly rampage against lobbyists if his senior advisors are all paid lobbyists, being paid by Freddie Mac, can he?

Next, Couric asked about the $700 billion government bailout of bad debt - and whether she supports it.

Palin: I'm all about the position that America is in and that we have to look at a $700 billion bailout. And as Sen. McCain has said unless this nearly trillion dollar bailout is what it may end up to be, unless there are amendments in Paulson's proposal, really I don't believe that Americans are going to support this and we will not support this. The interesting thing in the last couple of days that I have seen is that Americans are waiting to see what John McCain will do on this proposal. They're not waiting to see what Barack Obama is going to do. Is he going to do this and see what way the political wind's blowing? They're waiting to see if John McCain will be able to see these amendments implemented in Paulson's proposal.

Couric: Why do you say that? Why are they waiting for John McCain and not Barack Obama?

Palin: He's got the track record of the leadership qualities and the pragmatism that's needed at a crisis time like this.
Yeah, no one's waiting for Barack's answer on this. I mean, who cares, really? He's only the frontrunner for President, so I'm sure no one could give a crap about whether or not he wants to blast Freddie and Fannie to the Moon.

Nope, for economic issues, they want someone who will state that the head of the "FEC" (should be SEC) should be fired, without cause.

Couric: Would you support a moratorium on foreclosures to help average Americans keep their homes?

Palin: That's something that John McCain and I have both been discussing - whether that ... is part of the solution or not. You know, it's going to be a multi-faceted solution that has to be found here.

Couric: So you haven't decided whether you'll support it or not?

Palin: I have not.

Couric: What are the pros and cons of it do you think?

Palin: Oh, well, some decisions that have been made poorly should not be rewarded, of course.
How general and uninformed is this answer?

Q: What are the pros and cons of supporting a bill with a moratorium on foreclosures?
A: Decisions that have been made poorly should not be rewarded.

I'm sorry, this is the person who may need to communicate to Iran that they cannot have nukes? I cannot wait:

Ahmadenijehad: Dirty infidel! Why can't I build nuclear reactors for peaceful purposes and for destroying Is..uh...engaging Israeli aggression?
Palin: Oh, well, I don't think you should be rewarded for your bad decisions. By the way, Mahmoud, I can see the Eurasian landmass from Alaska. I got my eye on you, fella.

Couric: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?

Palin: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie - that, that's paramount. That's more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.

Couric: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Palin: He's also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about - the need to reform government.


Whoever is pulling the strings on the puppet really could have prepped her a little better.

Q: How does John McCain have any credibility on the subject when he has pushed repeatedly for less regulation?
A: He's a maverick.

This is getting beyond farce.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.
Q: Ok, can you give me a basis for your characterization of John McCain as a leader in this area?
A: I sure can!
Q: Ok, go. What do you have?
A: I'll do some homework and get back to ya!

I give up.

No comments: