Monday, March 27, 2006

The Crashed Car: Pete Doherty

A little uptight
You're a baby's fist
Butterfly kisses up and down your wrist
When you see daddy coming
You're licking your lip
Nails bitten down to the quick
A-ha sha-la, a-ha sha-la
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car

You've got a head full of traffic
You're a siren's song
You cry for mama
And daddy's right along
He gives you the keys to a flamin' car
Daddy's with you wherever you are
--U2

Holy crap, Pete Doherty (former leader of the Libertines, and current Babyshambles frontman) is in real trouble... read this:
The mood on the tour bus after the show is celebratory, to put it mildly. Several young-looking fans inhale lines of cocaine from a table, and a pretty blonde wearing too much makeup smokes heroin off a square of aluminum foil. Assuming she's a groupie, I ask how she knows the band. "Oh," she chirps brightly, "I'm Peter's new publicity manager!"

Moments later, Doherty boards the bus, squints at me and says, "You always manage to turn up at the best times, don't you?" His voice is gentle, its timbre vaguely bruised. After a moment, he flips open the view screen of a camcorder -- as he works the play button, I notice his fingertips are split and blackened from crack use -- and begins to watch his own performance from this very evening.

Yeah, it gets worse..
Over the next three hours, Doherty will also smoke crack, shoot heroin and take an Ecstasy pill. He does all of this casually, and openly, except for the shooting up, which he performs near the kitchenette, with his back to us. He offers me heroin and Ecstasy but not crack. I decline. The more drugs Doherty does, the more he seems to relax. He never becomes incoherent, though occasionally he seems confused. At one point, while we're talking, he stares at my feet and says, "Could you take your shoes off, please?" I tell him that I already have.

"Just take your shoes off, please," he repeats, glaring at me angrily.

"Pete," Naomi says, "his shoes are off."

A friggin' genius pissing away his talent...
You caught me in the middle dazed on the carpet
I was following the lines,
that move like more snakes thinking...

Something ain't quite right
You got the devil on your side,
standing to your right come on

You caught me in the middle dazed and confused
I was following the good steps,
fancy free and footlose.

Something ain't quite right
You got the devil on your side,
standing to your right come on
--Libertines


He's a garage rock artist, hanging in heroin dens and decaying in a cesspool of loser friends.

Remind you of anyone?

I'm hoping Pete makes it past the age of 27. Kurt didn't.
I don't care. I don't care. I don't care.
I don't care. Care if I'm old. I don't mind.
I don't mind. I don't mind. I don't mind. Mind.
Don't have a mind. Get way. Get way. Get way.
Get way. Way from your home. I'm afraid. I'm afraid.
I'm afraid. I'm afraid. Afraid of a ghost.

Even if you have. Even if you need.
--Nirvana

No comments: