Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Subdued World Refrains from Smacking Rumsfeld

Subdued Rumsfeld 'Truly Saddened' by Criticism

Dec 22, 2004 — By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, responding to mounting criticism even from fellow Republicans, said on Wednesday he was "truly saddened" anyone could think he was not laboring to protect U.S. combat troops.

I hardly think that is the only issue.*cough*Abu Ghraib*cough*Jackass*cough*
An uncharacteristically subdued Rumsfeld addressed his critics with an unprompted statement at the start of a Pentagon briefing, and said he stayed awake a[t](sic) night worrying about America's fighting men and women.

Asked whether the recent criticism had affected his ability to do his job, Rumsfeld said: "You get up in the morning and you think about what our troops are doing. And I must say, if they can do what they're doing, I can do what I'm doing."

He then added "I mean if they can risk their lives because I couldn't be bothered to formulate a post-invasion plan, then I can certainly to do the job of holding zero accountability for my incompetence."

The press gallery immediately demanded he explained himself while Rumsfeld shrugged and added "Listen: this is something we know that we know, not something we know we don't know, because otherwise we'd know we know that we don't know? Okay? I don't understand why you people don't go do something productive."

No comments: