Friday, November 19, 2004

ODB: Legend
Why was ODB King? I'm thinking his best recorded stuff was on the Run DMC cover of Sucka MC's on "In tha Beginning...". His verse set it off:
I'm ODB in the place to be
Didn't go to St. John's University
In the streets of Brooklyn I aquired the knowledge
A Law of Mathematics that's higher than college
I'm fly on skins that I gets in Queens
She love filthy swine and my collard greens
I'm dressed to kill, you know our style
Cause *****s don't know that Dirty Dogg fly

The snare and bass drums are in sync @ 150BPM or so and ODB spit out the syllables in pace with the drums. I haven't seen that too many times...maybe just on Rage's cover of "How I can just kill a man"..Interesting technique. When the normal beats resume, they sound bigger, faster, more hard hitting.
Bass! Bass! Snare!..Snare! Bass!Snare!
Maybe it wasn't his best stuff, but I like it the best...second only to his awesome cameo on the lame mariah carey song, "Fantasy":
Ladies and gentlemen
Introducing the Old Dirty Doggy
Here we go, now...

Me and Mariah
Go back like babies with pacifiers

Old dirt' dog no liar
Keep the fantasy hot like fire

Jump, jump
Let me see you do the stomp
Girls| let me see you shake your rump
Fellas| get it from the back and pump it
Let's do it, do it, do the hump

I'm a little bit raunchy
I'm a little bit rock and roll

And I'm soul to soul
Big letters
All big and bold
Ol' Dirty Bastard, across the globe

Funny guy. ODB was about as punk as possible: He just didn't care.

No comments: